Monday, October 12, 2015

Chippy Milk painted Dresser


While perusing Craigslist the other day I found a great vintage dresser and snatched it up. 
Before:
The lady I bought the dresser from said that it was hand made and I loved the details.  When I find an old piece like this dresser I like to paint it in milk paint.  I had a few bags of Miss Mustard Seed milk paints that only had a little bit of powder left and I decided to mix them together to get a new color.  I had Flow Blue, Ironstone and a bit of Lucketts Green.  I knew together they would make a great aqua and I was not disappointed!  
After mixing up the MMS milk paint, I painted the dresser with 2 coats and let the chipping happen.  I wanted to sort of copy the original hand painted design on the middle drawer so I painted my own design with white chalk paint.  I scraped the dresser with a sparkle knife and the flakes came off.  The last step was to seal the dresser with Tung oil.  


My lopsided hand-painted design! 

Gorgeous Hardware

I love the legs! 


One of the pulls was missing the back plate, so I improvised and took the top back plates off and hand-painted a design instead. 






39 comments:

  1. another lovely dresser. Your painting is always so perfect for the piece of furniture. love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sugar-It might sound crazy but I let a piece of furniture tell me how it should look and then I go for it! I look at a piece and then the picture of how it should be pops into my head.

      Delete
  2. Great color by mixing what you had and great chipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous shade of blue...wish I could do the fabulous chippy part like you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marigene-I know how much you love a good green!

      Delete
  4. You always do such lovely work! :) That little girl is lucky ! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the aqua color!! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally- it is a really pretty aqua in person too!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Darrielle. Another gorgeous re love. This color is fabulous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful, Darrielle. I'd love it if you would link it up to our new link party--Vintage Charm--taking place this Thursday, October 15th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is my color! I know the girl who received it will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose-she did love it and it is filled with her clothes!

      Delete
  9. Wow that's awesome that this pretty dresser sold so quickly Darrielle. I love the custom milk paint color - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a transformation I love the color you used, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin-the dresser is so much nicer now !

      Delete
  11. Love that color! And perfect chippy-ness. I've actually been looking at a similar dresser on CL and debating whether or not I want to get it ... now I can see that I definitely should!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why it sold so quickly! I love the chippy paint and that color is so beautiful! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! Not surprised it sold in a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-it was nice to have it leave my workshop so I could get a new piece!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you Sue-I think it is very pretty now too!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful piece! I love the color and chippy distressing. Your work is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mar-it was nice that the dresser chipped so prettily!

      Delete
  16. It's beautiful, and the custom color you created is perfect. Chippy LOVE. Thanks for sharing your painted dresser with Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy-It was fun to make a custom color!

      Delete
  17. Ohhhh! I love the color and chippiness-you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -the color and choppiness go well together!

      Delete
  18. What a beautiful transformation! That color is so cheery, I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -I agree it is a very cheerful color!

      Delete
  19. Due to the awesomeness of this piece and the beautiful color.... I will be featuring it a Making Broken Beautiful this week!
    Well done!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty! I have tried projects like this but every time it comes time to do the chippy part I chicken out...lol...I love the look but just better when someone else does it :0)

    ReplyDelete