Monday, November 2, 2015

How to get a Farm Table from a Craftsman Style Table


Awhile back I found a well made Mission Style Table that was very grungy, but solid wood and I though I could change it up. 
Before:
The top was in bad condition, but sold wood and I thought this table could have a farmhouse look with some altering.  I got out my handsaw and cut out the slats on the bottoms.  I sanded the top and sealed it with tung oil/dark wax and it was a beauty! 
The planks on the top are tong-and-groove and you can see the wear on the wood and its so nice!  For the base, I mixed up some Flow Blue milk paint by Miss Mustard Seed  and painted it with 2 coats and waited for the chippy magic to happen.  Since the wood was pretty dry it didn't chip as much as I wanted so I helped it along by scraping it with my spackle knife.  


The last step was to seal the table with clear wax. 



Side slats are gone 

I added a crystal knob to the little drawer



I love the scratches! 




29 comments:

  1. Magic happen's when you get near a distressed piece of furniture !!!! Love it , TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what a difference removing those slats made. Totally turned it from Craftsman to Farmhouse. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda-it is amazing how just the slats gone changes the look!

      Delete
  3. It's amazing what a difference removing those slats made. Totally turned it from Craftsman to Farmhouse. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow another outstanding transformation you've created. Happy creating!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -I do love to create so I will go create some more!

      Delete
  5. Well done! If I'd known it was that easy to get rid of the Craftsman look (not a fan) I would never have passed up some garage sale pieces in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sugar-When I saw the before of this table it just said farmhouse if you take me home-so I did!

      Delete
  6. What a transformation. You had great vision for this piece and it turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara-I was lucky my vision turned out!

      Delete
  7. Great vision! I love how you transformed it to Farmhouse style by such a simple change. So much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary-the table is so much more appealing now to me without the slats!

      Delete
  8. That is something I would have passed right by! You had vision and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea removing the slats from the side! I love the more open look, a beautify transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love this transformation, DD. You do have the touch.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia-I am glad the transformation turned out-they don't always!

      Delete
  11. Love the color and just the right amount of chippy goodness. Removing the side slats was very clever for this transformation - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie-I agree the table does have the right amount of chippiness!

      Delete
  12. That turned out really great...it would look great in a beachy style lakehouse too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra-it would look great in a beach or lake house!

      Delete
  13. WOW! Love the chippy primitive feel of this piece! It looks better without the side pieces for sure! Well done ... as always :0)!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry-I agree that removing the slats made this table a winner!

      Delete
  14. Such a pretty finish! All that chippiness made me weak in the knees. :) Thank you for linking up with Friday's Furniture Fix this week!.. Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie-chippy goodness makes me weak in the knees too!

      Delete